Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Great opening lines.


Most scholarships require an essay. I know it stinks. The thought of writing is enough to get anyone a little antsy. But, it's the cold, hard truth.

The hardest part of writing is to actually do it. I know that when I'm about to write something, I procrastinate because I don't know what I want to say, I want the words to come out perfectly, or I don't know where to start. Fortunately, I've found something that might give you some inspiration.

Stanford recently published the first sentences from stand-out personal essays written by this year's freshman class. This list is enough to get your wheels turning about your own opening lines for your scholarship or college admissions essays while also giving you some motivation. (These examples will help you realize that you don't need big words, lofty thinking, or super extraordinary experiences to craft a compelling, attention-getting essay.)

Take a look here for the examples. Let me know what you think: do these sentences grab your attention? Can you write a better opening line? Do you now feel that you could get into Stanford

Comment below when you get a chance. In the meantime, happy writing!

No comments: