Friday, October 17, 2008

Your College Scholarship To-Do List Part 2: Create your [very specific] activity list.

In my last post, I talked about the importance of writing an activity list before you start looking for scholarships. To read my previous post, see it here.

Today, I'm going to run you through the basics and help you brainstorm your own activity list. So, without further ado, here you go:

How to create an activity list:

1. Separate a sheet of paper into three sections, titled: Activity, Years Participated, Specific Achievements/Contributions.  

2. List ALL the activities you’ve participated in, including those activities dating back to elementary school. Ask yourself these specific questions:

• What groups/activities/programs did I participate in when I was younger? In Junior High? In High School?
• Where have a traveled? Did I go with a group or on my own? What did I learn?
• What church or religious groups did I participate in?
• Where and when did I volunteer?
• Where have I worked?
• What do I like doing when I’m not in school?
• What are my hobbies?
• Have I or do I participate in school-sponsored athletic programs?
• Other types of athletic endeavors, not school-affiliated (things like ballet, snowboarding, etc.)
• What do I plan on majoring in? What activities relate to this?
• Have I participated in any clubs?
• Do I speak a foreign language?
• What leadership positions have I held?
• Do I spend a lot of time with my friends?
• Am I technically savvy? 
• Have I been invited to join any academic groups like NHS?
• Have I been involved in student government?
• Mock trial?
• Did I go to boys or girls state? 
• Have I had internships or have I job-shadowed?
• Does my family belong to a credit union?
• Am I involved in the military?

3. After you’ve answered the questions above, try to write down specific examples or stories you remember about your participation. By diving in depth into these areas, you’ll save yourself time later because you’ll have excellent essay writing material. In addition, look for a theme that can tie your activities together. If you notice one type of activity that keeps appearing, you might use that as your theme. If you don’t have a clear “winner,” you might consider rounding out one of your favorite activities to give it more priority. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, see my last post).

Over the course of your life you’ve participated in countless activities. It’s important to write them down (or try to remember them) because you never know which ones will lead you to scholarships.

If you’re still stuck, here’s a some examples of specific activities: boy scouts, girl scouts, YMCA, United Way, Red Cross, church groups, mission groups, boy/girl’s state, academic programs, language clubs, the places you’ve traveled, any press you received for any activity, awards of any kind, your hobbies (are you a stamp collector, video gamer, skateboarder, sewer or knitter?), outdoor sports (like skiing, snowboarding, surfing, camping, hiking, climbing, etc.), and school-sponsored sports are all examples of activities that could appear on your list.

Just remember, write down anything and everything you can think of. Don’t filter yourself because this is for your eyes only. Plus, the more you write down, the more places you’ll have to start looking for scholarships. Stay tuned for my next post, I'm going to help you find scholarships by putting your list to work.

In the meantime, happy list writing!

No comments: